[TW; 2015] Solo Backpack Series | Part 9 - Tainan, Shennong, Flower Night Market

DAY7
Route Info: Kaohsiung > Yongkang > Baoan > Anping Old Street > Tainan City > Shennong Street > Tainan Flower Night Market
(高雄 > 永康 > 保安 > 安平老街 > 台南市 > 神農街 > 花園夜市)
Places in yellow are mentioned in the previous post.

5. Anping Old Street > Tainan City > Leoho Hostel
Collected my backpack from the Baggage Room at the train station, called up the hostel and the lady that picked up my phone was really nice to explain how should I get to the hostel. Just that she said it way too fast before I can digest them.

Being frank, I don't like the streets in Tainan City. Not all are straight roads; some are curved, and the end of the curve road will be a junction. So I got lost. And googlemap was not helping at all. Even the locals can't help me much.

So I used my sixth sense to guide me to the hostel... I made it!
Leo Ho Hostel 背包客棧, https://www.facebook.com/LeoHoHostel, Female 4bed Dorm, S$22.62/night/bed, booked via Agoda with DBS promotion http://www.agoda.com/promotion/dbs.html 
Love the hostel design very much and it was super clean. The upper deck wasnt really high, they do provide a small wooden stool ladder. And the staff gave me a paper bag filled with necessities such as paper towel, toothbrush and biscuits! So sweet of them! The best part was, ensuite toilet! Really enjoyed the convenience of the toilet in the room.

Used the computer in the common area, where I did a research on the Tainan Flower Night Market. Being adventurous, I decided to take up the challenge of walking over since it claimed to be 34mins and taking a bus will be 50mins.

6. Leoho Hostel > Shennong Street
After walking for 15-20mins, I thought I was reaching the night market, thus I started observing people around me and followed a group of big family presuming they were heading to the night market. Ended up they led me to Shennong Street. Perks of traveling without plans, random surprises that made me happy!
神農老街 Shennong Old Street; Shennong St, West Central District, Tainan City, Taiwan 700
According to sources, Shennong Street is considered as the most well-preserved old street in Tainan. And taking a short stroll along the old street was an amazing experience. Pretty lanterns hung around the area, allows me to be fully immersed in the chinese culture.

Not forgetting interesting DIY shops, cafes etc; which adds some colors in the dim lighted atmosphere. Enjoyed walking in random shops and browsing through every detail.

6. Shennong Street > Tainan Flower Night Market
Decided to try my luck and started walking further down. And I made it after another 20-30mins walk!

The biggest night market in Tainan! It was so big, but I managed to complete a full round about the night market!

Introducing some must-eat food mentioned in Taiwan blogs:
1. 紅妃香腸大腸 Sausage Wrapped in Glutinous Rice (NT$50)
It was not the usual 大腸包小腸 Sausage Wrapped in Glutinous Rice, but an "upgraded" version of it. They fried the glutinous rice and sausage on a hotplate before serving. Thus the sausage was not a part of the glutinous rice. They were so generous that I was able to get some side dishes for free to go along of the sausage and rice. I love the sausage so much, and the glutinous rice goes well with the sausage and the side dishes.

2. 統大碳烤香雞排  BBQ Chicken (NT$55)
The chicken was super tender and delicious! I really like the taste of it, and they were so nice to cut the chicken cutlet into small piece for easy consumption.

3. 尚好蔬果原汁 Fruit Juice
I love their fruit juice! I ordered Tomato with Yakult; the stall owner was so generous to put in 3 big tomatoes and a medium-sized bottle of Yakult. Can't remember the price but definitely worth every dollar I paid.

Cons of traveling alone was I can't stuff in too much good food. There were so many other appealing food I wanted to try out. ):

As it was pretty late at night, so I took a cab back. The cab driver was so friendly, switching on his TV and we discussed the content of the variety show on TV. He thought I was a Taiwanese from some other cities, and I was lazy to explain, so I had to lie the address I'm heading to was my Tainan friend's house. HAHAHA and surprisingly the cab fare only costed me NT$120!

Had a great night in the hostel chatting with my hostel roommate from China. She was such a friendly person, giving me tons of information for the rest of the cities I will be heading to.

It was a long yet amazing day. The best is yet to come; do look forward my next post on Tainan.

>> Next Post: [Backpack TW] Part 10 - Chikanlou Nankunshen Beimen Tainan

Comments

Trending Posts