[TW; 2015] Solo Backpack Series | Part 1 - Taipei Jiaoxi Toucheng Yilan

19 days solo backpacking trip around Taiwan!!! My aim of this trip was to travel one complete round around Taiwan using normal trains and buses.

Route info: [DAY1] Taoyuan Airport > Taipei > Yilan's Jiaoxi > Yilan's Toucheng > [DAY2] Yilan
(桃園幾場>台北>宜蘭 礁溪>宜蘭 頭城 > 宜蘭 市區)

 DAY1
1. Singapore > Taoyuan Airport > Zhongxiao Fuxing > Wanfang
Taking a flight alone wasn't as scary as what I thought so. On the flight to Taiwan, I made friends with the guy sitting next to me, shall name him Mr A. We just randomly chatted, sharing stuffs etc. Reached Taoyuan early in the morning, so thankful that I've an accompanist to wait for the chunghwa telecom that opens on 7am at T2.

On the way to the sky train, we met a weird uncle that wanted to "talk" with me. Then I realised Mr A seems to be sort of blocking the uncle from getting close to me, I hope I wasn't imgaining things, otherwise he's such a gentleman.

Upon reaching T2, Mr A asked me what did the uncle attempted to tell me, hahaha actually I wasn't paying attention to the uncle. Nevertheless, so thankful to meet him.

Chunghwa Telecom counter is located near ROW14 of T2. Being an experienced Taiwan traveler, those day-type of mobile subscription plans are considered super expensive, as there is WIFI available in almost all accommodations, thus 24hours data is not required at all. So I asked the chunghwa staff whether they still have 1GB data for NT$180 plan. The guy serving was quite nice to explain to me I just need to fork out NT$300 to buy the pre-paid card and he can activate the 1GB data promotion for me.

Instead of paying NT$900-1000 for a 30days plan, I paid NT$300! Deducting away the NT$180 for data, I have NT$120+some bonus for talktime! (budget traveler)

TIP1: I would highly recommend to buy NT$300 sim card if you're sure your accommodations have WIFI and you don't mind 3g connection, but do ask the person beforehand whether the 1GB for NT$180 plan is still available, and remember to request him/her to activate for you.

TIP2: If you're not intending to make any calls and traveling in large groups, you can rent a portable pocket wifi in Taoyuan Airport http://wifi-taiwan.com/english-version/

TIP3: Taiwan Tourism has launched a free WIFI island-wide, however do note that they have a list of hotspot locations, which means some rural areas may not be covered http://itaiwan.taiwan.net.tw/

Too bad Mr A was a Taiwan first-timer, so he planned all his itineraries in Taipei, hence we can't travel together. As he booked an accommodation in Ximending and I recalled reading there are some buses that stops near to XMD, so I checked bus routes for him using the bus info board placed at the bus terminal and found a bus for him.

So he took a bus to XMD and I took a bus to Zhongxiao Fuxing Metro Station.
大有巴士 CitiAir Bus 1960, NT$141, travel time 70-80mins
http://www.airbus.com.tw/index.php/route/airport-bus/19602
The driver was pretty impatient, there was a jam on the highway so it delayed the bus schedule, so he started shouting whether he could skip this and that stop, and ended up I reached Zhongxiao Fuxing metro station within 10mins after the bus left the highway.

This was where my mini-nightmare started.

I booked a hostel in Taipei, which was owned by my friend, for the last few days of my trip. And being nice, he offered to store my luggage so that I could just travel around Taiwan with my backpack. I told him I will reach around 9-10am, but I reached around 8.40am. So I messaged him, called him but no answer from him. After standing in the cold weather for an hour plus, I decided to give up and called another Taiwan friend, shall name her Ms B, for SOS. To keep the story short, I successfully stored my luggage with Ms B; thank goddess! Lucky that I have not paid him the hostel fees.

Ms B treated me breakfast; I felt so apologetic because I did not really informed her I'm coming over Taiwan and out of a blue called and woke her up from her sleep.

2. Wanfang > Yilan's Jiaoxi 
So I left Taipei around noon, and this marks my official solo backpacking journey.

Based on my research, it seems to be cheaper and faster to take a bus from Taipei City Hall Bus Station to Jiaoxi, so I took metro to City Hall Station 市政府, and followed the sign to the bus station.
首都客運 Capital Bus, NT$87, travel time 50-60mins
http://www.capital-bus.com.tw/yilan/ticket.html
The bus ride was really very comfortable, and there was WIFI on the bus.

So the bus stops at some interchange at Jiaoxi, as I did not do much research on Jiaoxi, I had to ask the bus driver the directions to the Train Station.

Following the directions given by the bus driver, I chanced upon the guide map, which means I'm on the right track!
(click image to enlarge)

Jiaoxi was like a paradise for hot springs; hotels/resorts everywhere~
 

As I read Taiwan blogs, they recommended readers to go for free hot springs at Tang Wei Gou 湯圍溝, but I did not prepare extra towel and etc, and I'm abit behind schedule so I decided to give it a miss.

Some interesting stuffs on the way...

After walking for 20mins or so, I finally found the Onion Pancakes 蔥油餅 I'm looking for!
 柯氏蔥油餅, No. 128, Section 4, Jiaoxi Road, Jiaoxi Township, Yilan County, Taiwan
I came here because... there was this Taiwanese drama (巷弄裡的那家書店) on broadcast a few months back, and this stall was one of the filming site. It looked delicious in the drama, and after checking some reviews, it seems to be quite okay. They were quite generous with the spring onion, and they have this special sauce that you can spread on the pancake. Overall I felt it was okay, and I would recommend to finish it while it is still piping hot!

So satisfied with my pancake, I headed to the Jiaoxi Train Station to take a train to Toucheng!

3. Jiaoxi > Yilan's Toucheng
 Jiaoxi to Toucheng, NT$23, travel time 6mins
www.railway.gov.tw/en/

Walked around 5mins to my accommodation of the day!
 
頭城亮金早餐俱樂部 Light& Star Brunch House, S$25 after airbnb fees
https://www.airbnb.com.sg/rooms/3770914?s=aN1T
Yes, it was a room located at a third floor of a breakfast store. It was a private room with shared toilet. The room was quite spacious rather a steal for this price. As the owner was not in, so his friend staying in the same block briefed me on the facilities and etc.

And I managed to borrow a bicycle to cycle around Toucheng! And I just randomly cycled and tried to follow the directions given by the owner's friend.
 

Toucheng old street is a must see attraction.

Next stop, Lanyang Museum 蘭陽博物館!
蘭陽博物館, http://www.lym.gov.tw/ch/Index/index.asp
Then, 烏石漁港
 
There was a tourist centre over there if you require some information about Toucheng. And there is a port nearby to go for whale watching. Sounds like an interesting itinerary when I have more budget.


I've no idea where I was, but this was a land owned by some private sector, and the shadowed island in the background is called 龜山島. I wanted to take more pretty photos, but stray dogs started appearing, so I quickly cycled out of this place.

Returned the bicycle, and I walked around the small town centre, which was infront of the train station. And saw these pretty Japanese houses which claimed to be the filming site for the Taiwanese drama 巷弄裡的那家書店 too.

Feeling abit hungry, roamed around for something unusual.

Duck noodles from a random stall, and I secretly took a photo of the smelly toufu which was selling like hot cakes. The auntie selling duck noodles and her customer were pretty nice to me; her customer even offered me to share her bed if I don't have accommodation that night. Had a great time listening to them nagging, grumbling and complaining over trivial stuffs. And I bet they had a great time laughing at my lousy Taiwanese 台語.

Ended the day sitting at 7-11 enjoying some green tea and fruits!
 

DAY2
4. Yilan's Toucheng > Yilan City
Woke up, packed my backpack, and when I was about to leave, I finally saw the owner, and he was running his breakfast store.

The owner was a very nice guy and wanted to treat me a breakfast. So out of courtesy I chose one of the cheapest in the menu and it was my favourite breakfast in Taiwan! Pork Floss Egg Pancake 肉鬆蛋餅! And he stuffed lots of pork floss in the egg pancake for me!

The owner felt I ordered too little and decided to treat me a drink; warm milk tea!

The owner's friend came down to the breakfast store and we had a small chat, also he checked the weather for me as the news was announcing that the temperature may drastically drop that day. The owner and his friend were super friendly people! Definitely going back there to stay if there is an opportunity.

Left the breakfast store and bought train tickets to Yilan City.
 
Toucheng to Yilan, NT$33, travel time 21mins
www.railway.gov.tw/en/
The last time I came Yilan City was the first time I came Taiwan, around 6-7years ago. Big changes I would say, it seems to be more accessible in terms of their public transport. And definitely this pretty exterior of the train station was something wasn't there that time.

As Yilan City is just a stopover; I just roughly researched that there was this Jimmy Square 幾米主題廣場 near the train station. But I did not check the exact location, so just randomly walking around.

As my next train was about to arrive in 20mins time, I decided to utilize googlemap. And (TADA) I was directed to the square. There was a slight drizzle that day, so the quality of the photos werent so good.

There were many spots for visitors to camwhore with!

On my way back to the train station, I visited the Visitor center, and they have this small section where they sell pretty souvenirs.

Pretty much sums up the first part of my solo trip! More adventures as the days unfolds... loving traveling Taiwan alone to the max!

<< Previous Post: [Backpack TW] Pre-departure

Comments

  1. Hi Xing Ying,
    I chanced upon your blog when searching how to go back to taipei from Yilan.
    I plan to stay over at Yilan and return to Taipei the next day. Is it difficult to go back Taipei from Yilan?

    Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,

      It is not difficult to get back to Taipei from Yilan. You can choose to take the train (TRA) or bus.

      But I will recommend you to take the bus;
      1. Most of the buses are equip with WIFI
      2. It is cheaper
      3. The traveling time may be shorter than train
      4. The frequencies are much higher

      There are 2 bus services running the Yilan-Taipei route, Kamalan (http://www.kamalan.com.tw/route.php) and Capital-Bus (http://www.capital-bus.com.tw/yilan/time.html).

      Hope these helps!

      -XY

      Delete
    2. Thanks XY. Great help indeed.

      I'm going to Yilan from Hualien. But I was told that Yilan is difficult to move around and should get a taxi to bring us around. Is it true? I'm going w hubby and 2 big boys. Do you think we can move around ourselves in Yilan?

      Delete
    3. Hi Amy,

      I have to agree that Yilan is rather difficult to move around without a car. If you're not intending to drive or book a car.. you may consider to concentrate on smaller towns in Yilan (example Luodong, jiaosi, toucheng etc), they may be much easier to walk about.

      -XY

      Delete
  2. Hi, u book the ticket at Taipei City Hall station? Is there any counter there from Capital StaR? Because I will trying to book online but unable to find any links to book the tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Silvia,

      Yes there is a counter at Taipei City Hall Station for Capital to purchase tickets. No worries, and not much a need to book the tickets in advance, the buses' frequencies are rather high. (:

      -XY

      Delete

Post a Comment

Trending Posts