[TW; 2018] Solo Series | Douliu

Douliu!

Douliu is a rather under-rated city in Taiwan. I stumbled across this city many many many years ago, probably when I was doing my research on my first solo trip to Taiwan, but accommodation was the biggest challenge back then (there wasn't cheap accommodation or even hostel).


ACCOMMODATION

It is still a big challenge, but I happened to see this place on facebook and I thought I should give it a try.
Verdict: For NT$500, yes I appreciate I have a roof to cover me for the night. I took some photos of the interior and exterior in the evening and it looked like a haunted house. It wasn't as homely as what was described in the comments by others. Disclaimer, I'm not a picky person, I can sleep in any condition though is bad. The floor was dusty, the tatami was dusty, the washrooms were not well maintain. The Taiwanese student that stayed beside my room was asking me whether I'm scared of cockroaches, thankfully I'm not. As a female, I didn't feel safe. The room door couldn't be lock, anyone can just open the door and I wouldn't be able to defend at all. It was a rather old house, so there were some stuff that gave me some goosebumps, I felt really uncomfortable. I ended up drinking a can of beer to force myself to fall asleep.
Lao Wu Ding 老屋町https://www.facebook.com/Lao.Wu.Ding;
No. 146, Chengding Street, Douliu City


THINGS TO DO & SEE

Putting the accommodation aside, Douliu was quite an interesting place to explore!

Taiping Old Street 太平老街


Most of the building over there are more than 100 years old, Baroque architecture! It is one of the best preserved historical buildings area in Taiwan. If you are a building lover, it is the best place to visit! Some of the buildings even have their surnames craved on the top!

Craving for some breakfast, and this temple attracted me.
I don't have a huge appetite, so I told the granny to give me a slice but I will pay the full price. Granny was so cute that she sold me a slice for NT10! Cheapest breakfast I ever had in Taiwan!

It was a rather big slice for me, and the radish was fried just right, loved it to bits!
Fu De Temple Old Granny's Radish Cake 福德宮前阿婆菜頭糕;
No. 2, Chenggong Road, Douliu City


Yunzhong Street 雲中街生活聚落

Stumbled across this place while walking through a shortcut. This Japanese houses are a good place to take ig worthy photos. Do check out their facebook for more activities and information!

Yunzhong Street 雲中街生活聚落https://www.facebook.com/YunzhongStreet/;
No. 75, Section 1, Yunlin Road, Douliu City


Douliu West Market 斗六西市場

The best place to experience local culture is a visit to their morning markets. I didn't took much photos cause I was dodging motorbikes and carrying so other stuffs. But I do enjoy experiencing these kind of roadside market.

Douliu West Market 斗六西市場;
No. 78, Xingbei Street, Douliu City


Yong Fu Temple 永福寺


I'm quite a temple lover person, loves to visit all kinds of temple and look at their design, feature and such. I have a story behind this temple but it was rather lengthy, but it was quite a nice experience.

The gold guanyin on the top of the temple was rather impressive! And this temple is more than 100 years old!
Yong Fu Temple 永福寺;
No. 156, Chengding Street, Douliu City


Douliu RenWen Night Market 斗六公園夜市-人文夜市

Why did I ended up in Douliu was because of this night market. My Taiwanese friends laughed at me that they never heard this night market before. Nevertheless I still insisted to visit and it was disappointing. The Tuesday market was boring, most of the stalls were closed. Weekend - Saturday will be more interesting I believe.
Douliu RenWen Night Market 斗六公園夜市-人文夜市, https://www.facebook.com/888gogogo/;
Mingde Road, Douliu City

Comments

Trending Posts