[TW; 2019] Taipei's Hostel VS Hotel: Which will be better?


Eighth time going to Taiwan and for this trip I stayed in both Taipei's Hostel (2-Star) and Hotel (4-Star). So if you're pondering which accommodation will suit better for a trip to Taipei... this post may help you!

Choice of Hostel: Apartment 10F 公寓十樓

Apartment 10F 公寓十樓https://www.apt10f.com/;
10F-1, No. 1, Sec. 1 Chongqing North Road, Datong District, Taipei
Based on my last bad hostel experience in Taipei, I was even picky this time, spending hours finding the perfect hostel. Apartment 10F won my heart (based on reviews and photos) because of one simple reason. I shall reveal it later!

Look-out One: Double Decks
You can't really escape from double decks in Hostels, unless you book a single room. But some hostel (like this), the double decks were built up; it's not those wooden/metal structures. That means, no matter how much you flip/turn/twist at night, rest assure the person below you will still be in his/her lalaland.

Look-out Two: Mattress
Some Hostels provide very thin mattress (unless they specify it is a tatami bed), which makes the sleep very uncomfortable, but Hostel like this with somehow reasonable thickness was just right for a comfortable night. You definitely need a good sleep after a long day of travel adventure!

Look-out Three: Window & View (my deciding factor)
I'm a window & view person, and since I know that I will be confined in a "box", having a window and view helps in my minor claustrophobia. So when I saw on their website that selective beds have their own view, I knew I will be there. I shamelessly wrote in the booking comment that I want the window view bed and I'm glad that fulfilled my request.

Morning View:

Night view while doing my work:

Look-out Four: Common Space / Washroom
Different hostels have different common space vibes - if you are someone who loves to interact, you should choose a hostel with plenty of activities! If the hostel doesn't mention about that, the minimum from the photos, a more brighter lighting or with more colourful/bright walls.

If you just want to have more "me time", choose hostel with more orange-y lighting photos. Or you can understand more from the comments/reviews. I would say 10F Apartment is more to this (although a guy tried to strike a conversation but I was busy with work and kinda ignored him).

having supper alone at the common area

As for washroom, the best is to have separate gender showers and for females sufficient space for hair-drying and etc. Something I would minus points for 10F Apartment is the hair-dryer, there was only one and it took really long to dry my hair.

Look-out Five: Breakfast
Some Hostels provide breakfast and yes 10F Apartment do have too. But I prefer Taiwanese breakfast so I did not try them at the hostels. The hostel was serving just simple bread, jam and fruits.

Look-out Six: Location
10F Apartment is located between Taipei Main Station and Beimen Station, which was very convenient for me cause I wanted to take the earliest train to Hualien and my favourite eatery is located at Beimen. Lots of shopping / supermarket / convenient stores at that location.

So choose the hostels with good metro connectivity so that you can travel around Taipei easily!

Conclusion: Is hostel for you?
If you are someone who doesn't mind having limited privacy, yes hostel will be great for pockets! If you follow my strict Look-outs, you will find your prefect stay!

And yes, I would recommend 10F Apartment to be one of your Taipei's choices!


Choice of Hotel: Taipei Fullerton Hotel-Fuxing South

Taipei Fullerton Hotel-Fuxing Southhttp://www.taipeifullerton.com.tw/south/;
No. 41, Section 2, Fuxing South Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106

Look-out One: Layout
Taipei City hotel rooms are generally smaller compared to the outskirts or other cities in Taiwan. (I guess this is unavoidable) So the room layout plays an important part to ensure you have sufficient walking space after throwing your luggage and loots.

This Fullerton hotel surprised me with their washroom layout, the hand sink area was within the bedroom space. Which I find it rather convenient as the mirror will not turn foggy after a warm wash.

Look-out two: Bed
Some hotels have really high beds which I don't prefer - I'm rather short hahaha! And the thickness of the mattress for the comfort sleep and the softness/hardness of the pillows. After an airbnb experience, I even check the bed frames (side story: the airbnb owners framed that I broke their bed frame - thankfully as a blogger I took photos of the entire room and spotted that the frame was broken before I stayed!). Back to Fullerton Hotel, the bed was just right.

Note: If the bed is really uncomfortable, there will be plenty people writing about that in their hotel reviews - so just keep a look-out!

Look-out Three: Breakfast
It will be definitely great if Hotel comes with free breakfast! Fullerton offers breakfast too, but I didn't try them, either my meetings were too early or I ran out for authentic Taiwanese breakfast.

Look-out Four: View
You definitely want a good view after a long day - minus point for Fullerton, the room doesn't come with any view and the windows were stained. (So I kept the curtains closed the whole stay).

But I found out a secret hideout in the hotel (it's the rooftop) that is accessible to public! And - it was a great place to catch sunset!

Lookout Five: Facilities
Most hotels would have gyms, swimming pools, sauna - it really depends on you whether you will be using these facilities during your stay.

Conclusion

Hostels or Hotels in Taipei? Well, it really up to you and the theme of your trip. If it is a budget trip then hostels, if it is a relaxing trip then hotel. If you can't decide, I shall make a choice for you - a hostel stay but upgrade to a single room (with window/washroom); you will definitely feel like a being in a hostel-hotel! (;

Comments

Trending Posts