[AU; 2022] Sydney Walking Tour

Free City Walking Tour

As I could only check-in to my hotel at 3pm and I was dozing off at the lobby sofa I decided to join a free city walking tour. I registered this like 1 hour before the start of the tour; I thought I was impromptu enough, but some didn't even register and just appeared at the tour.

There are 2 free walking tours in Sydney City and the one I joined was organised by Locl Tour: https://locltour.com/The meeting point was right at the city center - Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park!

This walking tour covers 2 areas: Sydney and The Rocks; which the other walking tour operator covers both areas in 2 separate tours.


Do expect a big group to be there - if you're still uncomfortable about the idea mingling with a large crowd; probably this type of walking tour doesn't fit you.

The tour doesn't start on time (due to the big group), so it's alright to be a few minutes late. Once the guide had most of the people on the printed list marked, here goes the 2.5 hours walking tour!

I won't go into details where of the route of the walking tour, but here are some snippets of the places that the tour covers.

Sydney City:


The Rocks: A pretty small town


The tour ends at this "secret" hideout place: Overseas Passenger Terminal

There is a small stairways at the side of this terminal which brings you to a lookout, to take nice photos of Sydney Harbour Bridge & Opera House!


There are 2 types of free walking tour - one is volunteer based where they do walking tour out of their passion so you don't have to tip them (some gets upset when you pull out your wallet); another is more of a local tour guide where tip helps them with their operating expenses.

So this tour is the latter; there is no fixed amount to give, just tip accordingly to what you think it is worth. If you don't really have a preference - just observe how much others are giving and do the same.

I would say this walking tour was very helpful for me to recall my vague memories about Sydney City within 2.5 hours. I did made friends with one of the tour attendees which was a bonus. Recommended!

Comments

Trending Posts