[TW] Guide | Hotel Hostel Minsu

List of hotels/hostels/minsus I have stayed before: How did you manage to book them?

Usually for Taiwan hotels/hostels/minsus I will email them instead booking from 3rd party sites, cause it will be much easier if there is any changes in the trip.

And for most Taiwan hotels/hostels/minsus if they do not have their own booking websites to pay the deposit, they will ask you to pay thru paypal.

Click to jump to specific location!
Chiayi | Hualien | Kaohsiung | Lukang | Nantou | New Taipei City | Pingtung | Taitung | Taichung | Taipei | Yilan



Chiayi
Method:
Booked through Facebook, without any deposit.
Review:
It is located inbetween the train station and the famous Wenhua Road Night Market. Despite that, it was very peaceful and quiet, which I really enjoyed staying alone. Sunna was rather fun, helpful and caring host, communicating with me on Facebook despite us just living one floor apart. Breakfast was handmade by Sunna and hot tea was brewed by her friend. A very cozy place. (My Related Post)


Hualien
Method:
Booked through phone call (cause I was living in Taiwan), and paid the deposit through bank transfer by Taiwan's Post Office with a NT$30 transaction fee.
Review:
This minsu has 2 locations which are approximately 15 mins walk away. The lady owner was quite friendly, cozy room with lots of vintage display. But if you're afraid of dogs, this accommodation will not be suitable for you as there are many dogs around that area. The price of the room is rather cheap, suitable for budget travelers who wish to have a private quiet environment. (My Related Post)


Kaohsiung
Method:
Booked through email, and the owner did not request for a deposit payment.
Review: 
Owned by a mid-age couple at the famous 85 Building, they were very helpful and answered all our questions and doubts. The room appearance was neat and tidy, just that when we shifted the beds around, we realised underneath the beds to be super dirty and even found things left behind by the previous owners. Some rooms do have personal computer, which was very handy for travelers to do research. (My Related Post)

Method:
Booked through facebook, and did a deposit payment through paypal
Review: 
Very clean hostel and the concept of indoor camping was really very interesting. Went there during Chinese New Year and the owners gave us small souvenirs, it was really cute of them to do so.  Location wise, metro is just a stone away with lots of shopping malls and food stalls, 7-11 is just on the ground floor. (My Related Post)

Method:
Booked through their online system, and did a deposit payment through bank transfer by Taiwan's Post Office with a NT$30 transaction fee  (cause I was living in Taiwan); payment can be done through paypal too
Review:
Fuss free check in, just that the room for 2 was really small for 3 person. Located at the 85 Building, and the rooms were very clean. (My Related Post)


Method:
Booked through Agoda.com and did a full payment online. (Please note that you will be able to reserve through their official website without any deposit but required to reveal your card details.)
Review:
Ikea's bed sheets, privacy curtain, cute Japanese owner. I would say well equipped hostel with all kinds of facilities you can ask for; living room, computer corner, open-concept kitchen, laundry, balcony. And of course friendly Japanese travelers too. (My Related Post)


Lukang

Method:
Booked through email, without deposit.
Review:
Very caring host, that adopted stray dogs on the street and handmade meals for them. For those who are afraid of dogs, this place is not suitable for you. Very spacious backpack rooms and cozy living room for backpackers to mingle around. The host was worried I am feeling lonely, so she played some Jazz music while I read through some books. (My Related Post)


Nantou
Method:
Booked through email, and did a deposit payment by Paypal.
Review:
Not some posh minsu compared to the others located in Cingjing. I would say budget minsu with friendly owners and lovely children. And their complementary steamboat dinner was really good! (My Related Post)

Method:
Booked through email, and no deposit was requested.
Review:
I shall not comment about the color coordination of the room. But the price is really one of the best in SML. The staff were friendly and they did a free room upgrade for us. They surprised us with a breakfast where they personally served it to the room, we were really touched. (My Related Post)

Method:
Booked through phone call (cause I was living in Taiwan), and did a deposit payment through bank transfer by Taiwan's Post Office with a NT$30 transaction fee.
Review:
The lady owner was quite friendly on the phone and in person, she made sure we were comfortable living in the room. Breakfast was provided beside the minsu, just some simple porridge. The room and en-suite toilet were clean. (My Related Post)


New Taipei City
Method:
Booked through phone
Review:
I stayed free throughout the stay, due to some personal connections I have with the hotel owner. Just some normal hotel located directly across Danshui metro station. What I liked was the breakfast... MOS burger breakfast meal! (My Related Post)

Method:
Booked through email, Deposit by Paypal
Review:
We changed the date before arrival and had no issues communicating with them through email. They do pick up at Ruifang Train Station at several timings, as it was a family-run minsu, all of the family members were very helpful. The en-suite toilet was rather interesting, a glass window with no curtains or binds, you can have a great view of the scenery, but makes us felt like we had no privacy. (My Related Post)


Pingtung
Method: 
Booked through email, and full payment on the spot
Review:
Friendly lady owner, a neat and spacious room. It was a great accommodation for a solo traveler with a personal tv and lots of books at the common area. I think I can stay there for days. (My Related Post)


Tainan
Method:  
Booked through Agoda.com, full payment to Agoda
Review:
I love the design of the hostel rooms and it was super clean. The hostel rooms were located at the basement, and the staff counter and double bed rooms were all at the upper levels. The upper deck of the bed wasnt really high, they do provide a small wooden stool ladder. And the staff gave a paper bag filled with necessities such as paper towel, toothbrush and biscuits; which was quite sweet to do so! Ensuite toilet for all dorms saved lots of convenience for backpackers. Common areas do have computers and television. However the hostel is located rather away from the train station, but all the historical tourist sites of Tainan are just a short distance away from the hostel.


Taichung
Method:  
Booked through email, and did a deposit payment by Paypal
Review:
I have no idea how the owners look like as everything, including check in, was done through SMS. Shall not blame them as it was Chinese New Year period. They have different themes for every room and all the wallpapers were hand-drawn. The room for 4 was really small that we can't find space to walk after placing our bags, not suitable for travelers with huge/many luggage. (My Related Post)

Method:  
Booked through phone call (cause I was living in Taiwan), and did a deposit through bank transfer by Taiwan's Post Office with a NT$30 transaction fee
Review:
They have staffs located at the ground floor and CCTV everywhere the building. The staffs were helpful and booked&bargain a cab for us. The room was quite comfortable just that the location was abit far away from Fengjia NM. Nevertheless, quiet environment. (My Related Post)



Method:  
Booked through Facebook, no deposit required.
Review:
Nice host that will recommend places for you to go. Backpack rooms are super spacious, and they DIY some of their furniture which makes the hostel really unique in design. But to be honest, the WIFI was really weak at the upper levels, so I had to go down to the super spacious living room to enjoy the WIFI. It is located at not very crowd area of Taichung, near Tunghai University and its famous Night Market. (My Related Post)


Taitung
Method: 
Booked through email, and paid a 50% deposit through paypal.
Review:
Classy hostel, even the locals said that. The rooms were clean, just that the upper-deck was really too high. Something to note was, the toilet was a shared facilities among the males and females, however there was a special cubicle only for females. I love the design and the color coordination of the hostel, and it feels really cozy like as if I am living in the nature. (My Related Post)

Method:  
Booked through Facebook, and paid full on the spot.
Review:
While communicating with them on FB I could feel their friendliness. The owner was friendly in person too, giving me lots of concern and tips, and even bought breakfast for me. The hostel was simple yet had I enjoyed my stay over there. (My Related Post)


Taipei
  • Colormix
Method:
Booked through email, and did deposit payment by Paypal
Review:
They had shifted to a new location and with a new concept. If the owner is still the same, he was a nice guy and the rooms were kept clean and tidy. (My Related Experience 1My Related Experience 2)


Method:
Booked through airbnb, paid full amount to airbnb
Review:
ReiKo was a friendly Japanese teacher, and the first thing she requested from me is to take a selfie together. The room was super small, but comfortable for me. There is no air-con in the room, so summer period maybe very hot and stuffy to sleep in. But in winter it was really cold with the fan. I can't speak Japanese, neither can she speak fluent mandarin, so we communicated in broken English. There was this night, she asked me to teach, read and reply emails and messages that was in Chinese. So she taught me simple Japanese in return. Maybe she was too comfortable of me around, she totally forgot about my last day, and did not facilitate my check-out. I had to facilitate the next traveler check-in for her. She sent me lot of private message apologizing to me, hahaha she was really a cute lady. (My Related Experience)


Yilan
Method:
Booked through phone call (cause I was living in Taiwan), and did a deposit payment through bank transfer by Taiwan's Post Office with a NT$30 transaction fee
Review:
The guy owner came to Luodong train station to fetch us and did a very detailed explanation on Luodong for us. The room was very pretty, to the extend that I can't bare to leave the room. (My Related Post)

Method:
Booked through airbnb, full payment to airbnb
Review:
The room was too big for one person to stay! The room is located on the third floor of a breakfast store, which means the owners runs a breakfast store. If you are a light sleeper, the best is to have your ear plugs on, as the walls were not sound proof, so early in the morning they will switch on the tv in the breakfast store. But the room was very comfortable and the owner's friend living beside this room was very friendly too. Caution, they have a small dog. (My Related Post)

Comments

Trending Posts