[FI; 2022] Day 3 Part 1 | City Walk

Day 3 & also my final day in Finland. My flight was a red-eye flight, thus I have plenty of time to explore around the city. As it is a long day, this will be split into 2 parts.

I booked a free walking tour - there are a couple of them, so just pick the ones that fit your schedule. I went with the Pink Umbrella where the tour starts at 1pm. I headed to the gathering point a little earlier so I can explore the place for a bit.

Senate Square - Helsinki Cathedral


I was quite lucky able to enter the Cathedral - I heard they don't open their doors at regular timings.

Senate Square - Statue of Alexander II (1894)


It was quite an impressive statue, that was the gathering point for the walking tour!
It was a huge crowd for the walking tour - I bet if you slip off halfway of the tour, nobody will notice that.

Start of walking tour

I will not be listing down the places the tour covers, if you are interested, join the tour! Photos & some descriptions ~

National Bank of Finland - It was an open house day, so many people were queuing up to enter the bank 

Estates House

The guide was mentioning that the streets were labelled using animals in the past, there is an unicorn street too!

The guide explained about the education system in Finland which made me envy the freedom they gave to kids.

Crossing through the luxury brands street

Mannerheim Square - Pit stop of the walking tour

I really enjoyed the tour a lot and the weather was good. As mentioned it was a free walking tour, and this "free" is based on tip. On average everyone was giving 10-15 euros, so just give what you think the guide deserves!


Helsinki Central Library Oodi

The pit stop of the walking tour was very close to this library, it is probably one of the prettiest library I never seen:


Interior was very neat and clean.

There was a small "lookout" area at the top level (you have to walk up a gentle slope) where you can have a good glance of the surroundings.

And something not to miss out right outside the library:

The Helsinki signboard!

I met a couple over there and they were very cute and friendly helping me to take photos. It was one of the rare times I wasn't been judged for traveling alone in a far away country, and it was a great small chat with them.

Toloviken

A small lake just 10 minutes walk from the library - amazing view that I'm so jealous of people living in Helsinki.

The National Museum of Finland

Doesn't it looks like a church?

The interior was really pretty that I wished I had time to explore the museum.

Even the museum door had a story to tell - gun shot fired during the 1918 civil war.

Temppeliaukion Church

And must visit in Helsinki - the rock church!

Make sure you check the opening hours before heading over:

Interior was awesome and the exterior was climbable.

Market Square

After walking for quite a long bit, I decided to take the bus to the Market Square to find food!

Of course, it must be Salmon soup!
There are plenty stalls selling Salmon soup, just pick whichever that looks good for you. I had mine at Kalakauppa E. Eriksson.

Outside the Market Square was also very interesting, a lot of things to see and buy, it takes around 20 minutes stroll.

I walked all the way to somewhere called Allas Sea Pool, where it has a range of public saunas, fresh/seawater pools! Although it was cold, there were still people dipping!

Finish loves sauna that they have sauna cabins in their ferries wheel!

This marks the first part of my Day 3 - more Helsinki to come in the second part!

Comments

Trending Posts